18:20 – 18:50
Bigband Concordia brings everyone into the Candlelight atmosphere, while the candles are being lit in the town hall.
City carillonneur Boudewijn Zwart will perform Christmas carols from the tower.
19:00 – 20:00
The highlight of this day is traditionally the ceremony at the tree. The public lighting is off and the historic town hall, houses and shops around the market square are lit by thousands of Gouda candles. Traditionally, the mayor’s speech is an important part of the ceremony and of course we listen to the Nativity story. This will be musically framed by Gerben Budding, teachers of the Gouda Pop School, Nanette Mans and the children of the Bibelebonz. Our special guest this year, Jennie Lena, will perform a number of songs in a Christmas atmosphere with her guitarist. At around eight o’clock we all count down with the new (deputy) mayor of Kongsberg to the lighting of the lights in the tree. This is how we usher in the Christmas period together
21.30 – 00.30
SensationKaaRs closes out this year in the Burgerhal of the city hall. A fun swinging mixer as end to this edition of Gouda by Candlelight full of danceable Christmas classics.
Markt and Surroundings
Wandering through the city center you can meet the following musicians, artists and acts:
- De Gorgons, our walking improvisational theatre by Clara van de Boom, Claudia Verschuren, Marleine Verbeek and Rieneke Batelaan.
- Theatre group Masquerade, a group of 15 singers, presents Christmas Carols in clothes from the Dickensian era. This year for the 20th time during Gouda by Candlelight.
- Kerstwind (Christmas Wind), like a whirlwind they wander through the center with all the traditionals in the repertoire.
- The brass band of the Salvation Army roams the city in its own way and plays wherever there is space.
- Pretkapel de “Uit” bloazers is a brass band consisting of a group of eight enthusiastic musicians. They play well-known Christmas songs with which they know how to create a real Christmas atmosphere.
- Barrel organ De Pansfluiter can be seen and heard at various locations in the city center. The organ performs an extensive Christmas repertoire. The Pansfluiter is protected Dutch historical cultural heritage and unique in its kind.
- Vocal group All Xclusive, these six women sing polyphonic a cappella, pop, soul and jazz.
- Cor Verkade, – look out for the man with the suitcase – captivates you with his stories.
- VoetFolk!, this strange group of cheerful musicians roam the streets and squares. Unamplified and unabashed, they bring a special, festive atmosphere and cosiness everywhere.
- Jubal All Star Xmas Band, after a few years of absence they return for a number of musical sets at Gouda by Candlelight